Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Right Stuff: sketches


My initial idea. A single gleaming silver star, ascending to the heavens, leaving the Earth's atmosphere and a trail of sound waves behind, just about to pierce the blackness of space to become one with the stars. Blah, blah, blah.
The gradient sky was inspired by the Japanese screen painter Ando Hiroshige.



Iconic Astronaut. I liked this idea very much. Which astronaut will be the chosen one with the "right stuff" to go to outerspace first? The silhouetted figure would've printed against a background of matte silver. In the end, I think this approach was too sexy for my cover.


The Mercury Seven: (left to right, back row) Alan Shepard, Virgil "Gus" Grissom and L. Gordon Cooper; (front row) Walter Schirra, Donald "Deke" Slayton, John Glenn and Scott Carpenter.

With Olga Grlic // Go Studio:

3 comments:

David A. Gee said...

I like the idea of matte silver on silver, and I don't find this too sexy at all. Nice.

H3NR7 said...

Thanks David. Tom really wanted rockets and I guess the spacesuit was a little too snug.

a2me said...

Very sexy.

He's got the right stuff.

Anne T