Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cracks in the Foundation


by Erica Ferencik // Waking Dream Press

Illustration by Victor Juhasz



I occasionally get request directly from authors asking if I'm available to design their covers. Always flattering, but I usually say no because of my busy schedule. And unless they're at a Publishing House and their Art Director hires me directly, I don't want to be stepping on toes. One of the things I hate to hear from the editor is that the author has a friend who's a designer and has great ideas, can you work with them. Yikes. I had a job where the editor told me that the author's response was, "A good start, can the designer give us the layered files so that my sister can move the elements around?" Get Thee Away From Me!

But in this case, Erica was doing it all. A one-person self-publishing house. Which has its own set of challenges. That means, in addition to being the author, she's the Publisher, the Marketing dept, the Sales dept, the Production Manager, Managing Editor, Copy Writer, Copy Editor, Art Director, and assistant. Imagine trying to get something approved. I have no one to rally on my side. It was a long process but in the end very enjoyable. It's a fun read. Check it out. Good luck with your book Erica!

Juhasz's Sketches:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Henry: I can't even imagine creating this book without your almost biblical patience with me...("what's a TIFF again?") oh dear God, you poor thing...anyway, it was a blast and I can't WAIT to sic you on my next book!
Erica

Ian Koviak said...

great little illustration. Al the best on your self-publishing efforts erica!

Anonymous said...

but, but... what did you do in that situation with the authors sister wanting to put her hands in your design?

F

H3NR7 said...

Luckily, the Art Director believed in the direction I was taking it and so did their editor. So they stood firmly behind the design and spoke with the author. Conveying how strongly and enthusiastically they felt that this was the best way to market the book and that this would help their book stand out on the book store shelf. And that there was no reason for someone to jump into the process when it was working.